Current VP Technology at 80-person edtech company. Previously: product manager in business intelligence, Big 4 consultant, and Freelance web app dev.
- How Better Prototyping Can Improve BI. BI This Week by The Data Warehousing Institute (TDWI). 30 Mar 2011.
- Professional LAMP: Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Wrox/Wiley Publishing. December 2005.
- Generalized AJAX Response Handling for XML Content. DevX.com. 18 Jul 2005.
Double Line, Inc.
April 2012 to Present
Director of Technical Solutions (17 months)
Engagement / Project Manager (7 months)
Senior Business Data Analyst (8 months)
Double Line Partners is an expert in education data management, committed to help educators improve their students. performance by providing them with effective and readily available tools and reporting.
- Lead product development leveraging the Ed-Fi educational data standard and open source technologies
- Lead Double Line's contribution of strategy, design, and code to the Ed-Fi standard and technologies
- Oversee technical approach and process across all customer implementations
- Support business development efforts with solution design, estimation, proposal writing, oral presentation, etc.
- Define research and development strategy, manage company-wide R&D budget, and execute R&D projects
- Manage company-wide training budget and define the development organization's training strategy
- Monitor development organization culture and teamworking, and identify events and other opportunities to improve
- Drive internal tooling
- Manage intellectual property assets
Budget management, aligning technical solutions with key financial metrics, headcount projection and hire planning, continuous process improvement, risk analysis and mitigation, Agile (Scrum/Kanban), Docker, Pivotal Tracker, git and GitHub, Continuous Integration, custom-built ETL unit testing framework, relational databases and data modeling, SQL, ETL performance improvement strategies, Business Intelligence Modeling Language (Biml), XML Schema (XSD), JSON, REST API design
Sept 2009 to April 2012
Product Manager for a software platform enabling an agile development approach to business intelligence projects as well as enterprise-level analytics alignment. Responsibilities were broad, including:
- Establishing and driving marketing priorities as it relates to overall messaging, brand awareness, sales collateral, and public relations
- Designing and executing marketing events and campaigns (e.g., webinars, newsletters) and building social media presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, forums, etc.)
- Technical pre-sales and post-sales activities (product demonstrations, kickoffs, training, professional services)
- Establishing a repeatable, scalable cloud infrastructure for our SaaS offering, using Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3)
- Contributing to the product roadmap by balancing needs of current customers with those of the untapped market
Marketing, product management, Business Objects, Cognos, Microsoft Analysis Services (SSAS), Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), MicroStrategy, WebFOCUS, Oracle BI, Netezza, Ant, XSL, Android, Amazon Web Services (AWS EC2)
Business Technology Consultant
Aug 2006 to Sept 2009 (3 years 1 month)
Led teams through the software development lifecycle from requirements elicitation to successful launch, operation, and maintenance of two complex initiatives integrating a Unisys mainframe system and an Oracle-based web application in a large-scale public sector enterprise. Responsible for understanding the details of the business of our clients and translating into workable technology solutions delivered in the allotted budget and timeline.
Project management, Enterprise architecture, Oracle, Data modeling, Informatica, webMethods, .NET, and XML.
Jan 2006 to Aug 2006 (8 months)
Led development of scheduling module for a product offering supporting the operations of chiropractic practices and critical to the sales strategy of company.
Signal US Communications
Jul 2005 to Jan 2006 (6 months)
Worked closely with a team of designers, programmers, and project managers to produce web applications that are user friendly and marketable.
"Summer of Code" Software Engineering Fellow
Jun 2005 to Sep 2005 (4 months)
Nov 2004 to Jun 2005 (8 months)
Designed a web application that applies a social network to searching. Led programming team to implementation of a sophisticated prototype.
Jun 2003 to Nov 2004 (1 year 4 months)
Expanded capabilities of a department intranet. Developed a reporting system, a customer service application, and an improved authentication architecture.
Data modeling, Oracle, Java, CSS, and HTML.
Synchrony Communications, Inc. (Now Divine, Inc.)
Jul 1999 to Aug 2001 (2 years 1 month)
Helped develop several products. Customized Synchrony's core call center product for customers. Developed middleware for Synchrony's public website.
Miami University, Oxford, Ohio May 2006
- Bachelor of Science in Systems Analysis
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology